Friday, October 11, 2013

House of Wallace: The Beginning Part 1

Like all good things, I guess we should start at the beginning...sort-of.  More like the beginning of the House of Wallace (HOW).

We were both born and raised in good ole' Arkansas, different cities but within 30 miles of one another.  I won't bore you with the details of our upbringings so we will fast-forward to 2006 when the HOW began.

It was a sweltering, miserably humid beautiful July morning and I had just arrived at my boyfriend’s lake house.  For arguments sake, we will call this boyfriend John.  John and I had been officially dating about a month and a half.  Upon my arrival, he informed me that a few friends would be coming over to hang out, friends I had yet to meet.  I was sitting on the front steps of the house facing the lake when John’s friends arrived.  They walked up behind me to say hello and as I turned around to meet them, my entire world changed even though I didn’t know it at the time.  Standing in front of me was a tall, handsome man…his name was Clint. 

We all had a great time that day hanging out together.  We all had so much in common and I felt as though I had made some new, life-long friends.  Clint told me that he was moving to Seattle in August to “see what they had to offer.”  I also learned that he shared my intense love for Jimi Hendrix.  The day had sadly come to an end and it was time for me to head home.  The friends were staying overnight so as I was about to say goodnight, John pulled me inside and gave me a rose and for the first time, told me he loved me.  I was in heaven because I loved him back.  I left that night on cloud nine, what a day!

Now before you get your panties in a wad, because I know what you are thinking, wait for the rest of the story. J 

When I got home that night, I recounted my day to my mom.  I told her about John’s sweet comments of his love for me.  I also told her about the handsome friend named Clint.  I distinctly remember her saying, “But wait, why are you talking about Clint when you and John just professed your love to one another?” and I told her that I did love John and that it would never work between Clint and I because he was moving to Seattle in a few short weeks.  Oh and did I mention that I LOVED John?!  Geez Mom.  I was 19 years old at this time and I am not saying 19 year olds do not know what love really is but I AM saying my idea of love was so far skewed from reality. 

So August comes around and John and I are still happily together.  Clint and another friend, Marie, came to celebrate my birthday and the following day, they set out on the long drive from Arkansas to Seattle, Washington.  I was sad to say goodbye to them (more sad about Clint leaving) because they were awesome people I had only just met.
Clint and I corresponded a few times through email and MySpace while he was living in Seattle.  It was never anything major, just checking in on one another to see how life was going.  I enjoyed our random but very brief conversations. 

Over the next year, my relationship with John went from wonderful to alright to bad to worse to dark-hole-depressing.  I had completely lost touch with who I was.  John had become controlling, manipulative and mentally abusive.  We had such hateful arguments and I cried EVERY single day.  My family had grown to hate him but somehow I thought it was what I deserved.  Finally in early September 2007 John and I broke up for good.  I was completely devastated.  My world seemed so bleak.  How do you go on when for the last year your every move was determined by someone else?  I dated a couple of guys after we separated but I just could not connect with anyone.  I was completely numb.

To be continued…

No comments:

Post a Comment